Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pub fun night raises £900 for tots charity

RELATIVES of a premature baby who lost his fight for life have held a fundraising night in his memory.

Alfie Bailey Steven Hammond was born 14 weeks early in April at St Michael's Hospital.

Staff at the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit (Nicu) battled to save Alfie but after five weeks he died.

Alfie's aunt Charlotte Hammond, of Hartcliffe, was determined to do something to show her gratitude for the hospital.

The 21-year-old works at the Wessex Flyer on the Hengrove Leisure Park and on Friday night the pub played host to a fundraising night for the Nicu's Cots for Tots appeal, supported by hundreds of people.

Alfie's father Ben Hammond underwent a leg wax, there were table top sales of handmade glassworks and products from Ann Summers and the Body Shop and fundraisers also had a chance to have their tarot cards read or visit a medium.

Ben, 25, also lives in Hartcliffe and works for furniture and upholstery producer Foam for Home in Cater Road.

Charlotte said: "When Alfie was born he weighed one pound 15 ounces. He was so small, we were debating whether we could put him in a pint jar.

"I think him surviving as long as he did is a miracle.

"They were absolutely fantastic with him. They looked after him and they looked after us too.

"They were so supportive, giving us any information we wanted.

"Because I work very odd shifts I couldn't make it to visiting hours but they used to let me arrange to come in in the mornings so I could still see him.

"I was planning to do something for the charity and when Alfie passed I wanted to do it even more, to say thank you."

Charlotte and Ben's mum Angela also helped organise the charity event.

They raised £900 at the night, which was divided between the Cots for Tots appeal and Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, which is the chosen charity of the Wessex Flyer's owner, brewer Whitbread.

Charlotte said: "It was absolutely great and so busy in the pub. I hadn't expected so many people to turn up.

"Everyone really enjoyed it.

"Some of the lads got waxed – I paid £10 to rip strips off my brother's legs and my friend's chest.

"It feels really good to have raised so much money and I am proud everybody got involved."

water damage clean up atlanta water damage cleanup atlanta paris plumbing seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment